Saturday, November 22, 2008

1. College is the perfect time to expand your mind and challenge your own views. You can’t do that if you’re constantly surrounded by people who agree with you.

I have to agree. That's the main reason I didn't go to a smaller liberal arts college. I might have fit in too well.

2. Sad. Sad sad sad sad sad. And more sad.

Also, Eureka Springs! Yay.

3. A decent article on atheists. Nothing earth-shattering or new, but one of the better pieces I've read in awhile.

Kansas City FreeThinkers hold monthly walks in a dog park and weekly coffee-house meet-ups, advertised online.

Sweet. I'll have to remember that for when I move back.

Some Christians find the billboards deeply offensive, especially at this time of year. In recent weeks, press releases from the religious right have accused atheists of "mocking" and "insulting" Christmas.

Okay. I'm personally not offended by Christmas stuff, even the fairly religious stuff, simply because I realize that a majority of the population celebrates it. But all you have to do is reverse the above position and it's identical to how atheists/non-believers could feel about any religious expression. And do we complain? Occasionally, and only recently. I think such complaints are justified when concrete issues of church-state separation are at stake. Otherwise, both sides can just suck it up and learn to live with disagreeing viewpoints.

Remember, children: expression of disagreement does not equal oppression.

4. First, this url amuses me. www.pbs.org/pastafarians? www.pbs.org/nihilists?

Second, it's a pretty good documentary about a fascinating cultural phenomenon. I thought it struck a decent balance between proponents and critics of the religion itself.

5. Missouri finally made up its mind, and I'm sad. Amazed at how close the vote was, but sad.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home