Wednesday, April 02, 2008

1. Sad.

“I don’t see how any human being could look at them for any prolonged period of time without getting physically ill… I thought I would throw-up if I looked at them any longer.”

First of all, how immature is that? Seriously. Grow up. And get yourself a spine while you're at it.

Second of all, how sheltered is this woman if she's so unused to facial piercings that she can't stomach the sight of them? Do we really want someone so ignorant and naive in a position of leadership?

Thirdly, would she have the same reaction to someone with a non-voluntary facial disfigurement? Or someone with facial modifications condoned or encouraged by their culture? She'd be crucified for that. What's the difference between these situations, really?

2. I don't think I know (or have ever known) Brown's motto. I'm not particularly motivated to look it up, either.

Impactful or not, does a college really need a motto? Quick: What's the slogan of your alma mater? An extremely informal and decidedly unscientific survey indicates that many people don't know.

See?

Reed College's underground slogan is "Communism, Atheism, Free Love." Students at Swarthmore College experience "Guilt Without Sex."

Heh. Imagine, I considered going to both of those schools. Shocking.

If pressed, I'd say Brown's motto would be something like "Figure it out your own damn selves" or "You may be about to make a huge mistake, but we're gonna let you go through with it because it's a learning experience."

3. Finally, a public monument I can stand behind.

More coverage here.

4. I like this kid, even if she gets her prepositions a bit mixed up:

“It’s cool ’cause you can, like, think freely by yourself,” [eight-year-old Jane Kovak] said.

And her parents:

As for Jane, her parents believe that her religious beliefs, or lack thereof, should be up to her.

“They have had many discussions about this, and we’ve had our discussions too,” said her mother. “I think that we just give our view, I always tell Jane that she has to make up her own mind, she has to experience her experiences — figure it out for herself.”


Shocking that I went to the "figure it out for your own damn selves" college, eh?

5. I always did enjoy a good blooper reel.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home